New Market, Virginia - Established 1796
Settlers first discovered the New Market area's fertile lands,
wild game, and minerals in 1727, nearly 300 years ago, with
many of the first settlers being Germans of the Mennonite
and Lutheran faiths, later joined by many Scots and Irish.
The Town was founded by General John Sevier, a noted Indian
fighter and revolutionary patriot, but the Town's effective
history began in 1796 when it was established by a charter
of the Virginia General Assembly. In 1806, German settlers
established a printing and publishing business that was a
foundation of New Market industry into the mid 19th century
and by 1835, the Town had become a commercial and industrial
center boasting a population of 700.
|9401 Congress Street
Civil War, situated on the main thoroughfare of the
strategically important Shenandoah Valley, New Market played an
active role, and
Stonewall Jackson's troops marched through the
Town on four occasions.
On May 15, 1864, the historically significant Battle of New Market
took place in which teenage cadets of
Virginia Military Institute
(VMI) were pressed into service by Confederate General John Breckinridge
in a successful effort to delay the North's march on Richmond, Virginia.
That battle is reenacted each year in mid-May, on the grounds of the
Hall of Valor Civil War Museum in New Market.
|Congress Street in early 1900's
In 1972, the Town of New Market was designated a Historic District
by the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission and registered as a
Virginia Historic Landmark, and the Historic District was listed
in the National Register of Historic Places, which is maintained
by the National Park Service.